

# SCISOC FEBRUARY COUNCIL MEETING

## MINUTES

**Date:** February 24<sup>th</sup>, 2025

**Time:** 6pm

**Location:** Essex Hall Rm 109

### ► Attendance and Call to Order at 6:08pm.

Nick, Marco, Andrew, Lauren, Alejandra, Bronte, Laura, Lindsey, Angelina, Seeret, Connor, Lisa, Tyler, Erika, Hayley, Reem, Michael, Jana, Alexia, Connor, Tejas, Olivia, Kate, Niksha, Silvia

### ► Approval of Current Meeting Agenda? **y/n**

### ► Approval of Last Meeting's Minutes? **y/n**

### ► Introduction

### ► Discussion Items

#### a. Relay For Life (Renil)

Renil: this Friday

Niksha: Sci soc has slot to do experiment, a few years ago did dip and dots

Lauren: need liquid nitrogen to do that, Adam suggested making ice cream in bag – just need cream. Is everyone okay with that? We need volunteers for prep and day of event.

Seeret: dry ice experiment, not really ice cream, use blender to make.

Renil: will touch base with Adam about volunteers–10/10:30 is our booth

Lindsey: acquire liquid nitrogen in this building somewhere

Lauren: Adam wants to figure out how to make ice cream without liquid nitrogen, some recipes don't need it so we'll probably go that way with it.

#### b. Meet the Prof Night (Renil)

Renil: event was supposed to take place earlier, now postponed to Monday, March 3rd, mandatory event for all scisoc members, please send regrets if you can't attend. Please repost, spread the word, ask Renil, Sofia, or Nick any questions

Jana: do we have one prof from each department?

Renil: We don't have enough profs for that

Nick: exponential decrease in profs each time we push event

Jana: can we give profs a token of appreciation if they come?

Renil: this is why we're making Dean send out emails, hopefully this gives them a push

Alejandra: we can do gift card if we want to

#### c. Executive Elections (Renil)

Renil: campaigning today until Wednesday, voting Thursday, CRO sent me voting link, hopefully it works and no issues like last year

Jana: what can council do during this election?

Renil: members of council can endorse anyone, execs cannot. Email CRO if there's misconduct.  
General election in third week of March.

Jana: In our bylaws, we have to appoint one until the next executive election, not sure which elections

Renil: because Alejandra still VP until May, we can throw it into the March election

Lindsey: I think it's appointed over the summer where there's a period that we have nobody

Jana: can make a motion to finalize this specification and do so again during AGM

Jana: A vacancy specifies a by-election, council may do an internal vote to elect someone. Up to CRO discretion if we can put VPF election onto general election and then if it goes vacant after that, we can do internal election

Renil: I agree

#### d. Fun Run (Lauren)

Lauren: Looking into fun run – big event for council and all science events, one of the lasts of year. Good way to raise money for our charity of the year. Need to contact City of Windsor for hosting a fun run – maybe Malden or somewhere else if someone has an idea. Open to other names and suggestions regarding the event. Does anyone have any opinions?

Alejandra: running factory helps set these up, know banners and businesses that can help.

Lauren: I will contact them, thank you.

#### e. Hockey Tournament (Renil + Matteo)

Renil: March 8,9 are semis and finals. 4 teams, doing 2 games where winners move on. Saturday is our game against Odette, final will be on Sunday. Mandatory event, so send regrets if can't come. Slapshot social on the Thursday before like last year. Afterparty unofficially at Bourbon Tecumseh for both nights.

Alejandra: Is there a free skate?

Renil: Free skate at 12:40-1:40pm on Sunday, game at 2-5pm on Sunday, free skate not mandatory for council

Jana: Are we prepared for loud equipment

Lindsey: can we buy garbage cans? Where do we buy those?

Seeret: Do we have a megaphone?

Renil: yes! We also need chants that day

Lindsey: going to figure out sound system this year in the actual arena

Renil: Lindsey sister doing national anthem?

Lindsey: yes!

Jana: tryouts to sing anthem at slapshot social?

Lauren: will we be doing a fundraising aspect at game?

Renil: yes, 50/50, thinking of doing a puck shooting competition at intermission

Lindsey: do you need a permit to do 50/50 in Canada?

Marco: yes

Lauren: can we get around it by giving it to charity?

Renil: Alejandra, get on that. Other societies will let us use all of the profits for our charity

Nick: are we playing in the bowl?

Renil: yes, on Sunday

#### f. Gala Finances (Alejandra)

Alejandra: 15,300 to Ciacaro, 6,000 for decorator, payed for drinks at Disco – 743, photography 175, photobooth 550, popcorn 95, DJ TBD, total expenses almost 23,000. Income 19,000 ticket sales, sold 260 tickets and gave some away to sponsors, etc. Raffle prizes from debit made 770, though might be more need to talk to UWSA, cash 920, online sales 265, therefore total = 2000 raffle prizes, got lots of society sponsors – total revenue 25,940, profited roughly 2,500. on track to donate 9,000 from gala alone, plus any other initiatives we do so hopefully we'll get to 10,000 for our charity!

Lindsey: are awards in there?

Alejandra: no

### g. Merch in the Works + Any Ideas? (Renil)

Renil: Talked to Aiden, new merch in the works, any ideas?

Lindsey: quarterzip is a big hit

Jana: Sci Socks

Connor: I was going to ask about Sci Socks too

Jana: people like my Scisoc beanie

Seeret: used smART to ask for designs from students

### h. New Zumba Date (Lindsey)

Lindsey: Only 4 people signed up for the last day, we can all decide a new day that works better for everyone

Laura: midterms are week of 10<sup>th</sup>-14<sup>th</sup>

Alejandra: Are we definitely doing it a Wednesday?

Lindsey: we can put out a poll on a best day, people are still here until April, so week of March 24<sup>th</sup> will be when we plan for. Might do free stuff in Sci lounge until then, probably donuts

First year reps – game night

Tyler: coming along well

Renil: can we please have a euchre event?

Tyler: yes, we're also doing smashbros. Thinking of doing it the last week of March or into April

### ► Question Period

- Tyler: Are we doing Pi day?
- Lindsey: yes, I will look into pies, what were the best flavours?
- Renil: Jana, can you check what exec is in charge of pi day?
- Lindsey and Lauren: we can do it together
- Jana: events committee is in charge of mol day and pi day - also a council bonding night each semester
- Lauren: if it's a matter of finances, can come out of my budget
- Alejandra: dream big with 2 months left, budget is looking good, you will be approved for many events
- Lauren: if anyone has any ideas, please bring them up to me, we can host lots of things. What is a potential budget for an event?
- Alejandra: A lot.

Follow-up for pancake event:

Lindsey: let's do it again before exams, was a big hit

Lindsey: how is everyone feeling about wellness corner?

Reem: people are abusing it, keep it healthy

Lindsey: is there anything in particular you guys like?

Jana: fig bars

Seeret: people really like the menstrual corner

Alejandra: the pads get used quickly

Lindsey: we will get more of that, thank you for info

## ► **Departmental and Committee Reports**

- Arts and Sciences
- Integrative Bio: BCNSA gala is on March 21<sup>st</sup>. Tickets are on sale, with Tier 2 tickets almost sold out. Proceeds go towards MS Canada. BSU is having a bake sale on February 26<sup>th</sup> with proceeds going towards Noah's House.
- Biomed
- Merch out now, orders end on FRIDAY
- Forensics
- Economics
- Earth and Environmental Sci
- Jull club had a very successful Valentine's day event. Given grant from Dean's council and other professor to revamp the patch of tall grass and messy trees near library
- Chem and Biochem
- Meet the grad night, jeopardy event/social event – Thursday next week, check UGCC instagram for time – will send in Slack general chat
- Math and Stats
- Physics
- Lecture with Rossen 21<sup>st</sup> of March, topic is magnetism
- General Science

## ► **New Business**

-

## ► **Meeting Adjournment at \_\_\_\_6:46pm\_\_\_\_.**

## ► **Thank you, Laura for being interim CAO**

## **Action Items**

-