

October Council Meeting

University of Windsor Science Society

Tuesday, October 26th, 7 PM - 8 PM

Location: <https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82398035742?pwd=am12K3l6cmY1K0JpMnVSbUpDa3dEUT09>

Attendance: Nellie, Maria, Aiden, Cassidy, Alexa, Anumita, Aya, Moemoe, Chloe, Haron, Ishita, Mihir, Jeffery, Jana, Matteo, Jaclyn, Madeleine, Matteo, Nikko, Monika, Sophia, Olivia, Renil, Victoria, Zahraa

Absences: Renee, Caroline, Sulley, Burhan, Nikola

Item	Description	
1	Call to Order	7:01PM
2	Approval of Agenda	YES
3	Approval of Minutes	YES
4	Chair's Business	
5	Introductions	
6	Discussion Items 6.1 Ratification of New Council Members 6.2 Halloween Event 6.3 Meet the Prof Event 6.4 Budget Approval 6.5 Committee-specific Office Hours 6.6 Shirts, website, and promotions 6.7 Academic Advocacy: Student Consultation	
7	Question Period	
8	New Business -create survey for Hyflex -start committee for	
9	Adjournment	8:03

Chair's business

Nikko: *Robert's rule refresher*

6.1 Ratification of New Council Members

Nellie: Once elected to council we have to ratify you

- Motion to ratify Matteo Frattaroli and Renil Kooplicat as our 1st year rep for the school year 2021-2022

Montion second by Aya

Approved

-Motion to ratify Alexa Burks as our Biomedical rep for the school year 2021-2022

Montion second by Aya

Approved

-Motion to ratify Jana Faraj as general science rep for the school year 2021-2022

Montion second by Aya

Approved

6.2 Halloween Event

Cassidy: We decided to extend the ticket sales, please buy your tickets and show support

Details: Thursday night, 8pm Scare House Windsor. Buy tickets through out linktree on Instagram.

6.3 Meet the Prof Event

Mihir: In the works organizing with BSU and BSNSA meet the prof on Nov 26th, we can only rent once we get health and safety approved, I wanted to get some input about running in the tent since it will be cold.

Nikko: I would advise to open up to other departmental clubs and have them reach out to their own prof

Aya: Odette event used heaters for the tent, and they were good and warm

Mihir: The tent will have some covering, we will be serving hot chocolate so it will be on theme, but let me know what you think

MoeMoe: Maybe have departmental clubs submit request for their respective profs and get them involved as well

Mihir: We have to include which clubs are helping prepare for event into the health and safety form but I will look into it more

Nellie: If outside doesn't work we can do indoors but outside might be nice

Anumita: I think outside might be hard for students to come, especially in the cold weather, not sure if students will want to stand in the cold

Mihir: I agree, once we get health and safety form approve, we will get recommendation where they want us to host it I will update you all

Aya: University doesn't follow provincial guidelines if we want to do indoors it might be very limiting

Cassidy: Health and safety was very hard to approve especially if there is food involved

Anumita: I am not opposed to hold it outside I just wanted to bring up the possibility of students being hesitant to go if it's cold,

Mihir: Event will be 3-5pm, 1st hour will be presentation and 2nd will be hours to talk to profs, I hope this event can expose students to research opportunities with OS apps coming up but I also have a virtual back up event online through breakout rooms

MoeMoe: We could have 2 events, this event could just be meet and greet and the next one could be more presentations

Mihir: They want to gear and emphasize research opportunities so the presentations will be able to do this

Nellie: Do social part first and then presentation so that students can come in and talk to profs and can stay for presentations, or we can also do another social at the end of presentation

Mihir: I plan to distribute planning between academic and events committee, mandatory for all council event to come, Nov 26th is the date

6.4 Budget Approval

MoeMoe: Budget excel sheet will be posted on the website, we might get more students enrolled for now this is what I have. *Refer to budget excel sheet for details on budget for each category* Halloween fundraiser revenue is still below cost so please buy your tickets

Anumita: Are we losing money for Halloween event?

MoeMoe: We pre-purchased 65 tickets and any more tickets bought will be used to go to donate to our charity

-Motion to approve science society budget to for fiscal 2021-2022 year

Motion is second by Nellie

Approved

6.5 Committee-specific Office Hours

Nellie: Not a lot of people have been signing in and out in the log, please remember to do it, for new council members you are required to do 1 hour committee specific work, I will be in contact with you soon

6.6 Shirts, website, and promotions

Maria: Long sleeve if you haven't sent in the money please do, we still have shirts to be picked up, if you haven't received the short sleeve please pick up and take a pic with greenery for our website. Olivia and Burhan please send me your picture. Please make sure you have notifications on slack for promotional event wave.

6.7 Academic Advocacy: Student Consultation

Anumita: What does SciSoc do in terms for student advocacy, are there any committees we sit in?

Aya: Students can email SciSoc or message me and I anonymously take concerns to Dr. Houser and then to Dr. Dutton, we don't advocate for marking and little matters but we advocate for students to have an even playing field and make sure every student is being treated fairly

Nellie: Every month I attend Faculty of Science meeting, at those meetings I sit and represent science students, they ask me for insights, but I have no voting power

Anumita: Do we have any committees that we sit on that relates to course delivery discussion?

MoeMoe: There are couple boards where deans and faculty members where they decide about course delivery, for this upcoming semester they are allowing students to come in however much they want, classes with 75 or over they will have Hy flex and anything less will be in person,

Maria: Department council for chemistry and biochemistry, we discussed course delivery, most departments have this discussion in their own council meetings as per rules given by Dr. Houser

Aiden: It has been tough to get profs to do in-person classes, please try to get them back to in-person

Anumita: Purpose of this conversation was to get more information how much we can do as a society for students, I think we should push for recorded lectures, most students like this as they will be able to go back for whatever they missed, medical schools have classes recorded and transfer of information is seamless, since we had time to adjust to online semester it would be nice to keep best of online semesters while we go back in person, if we can bring this up to this external committees or if this can only be an internal conversation

MoeMoe: I know not all classrooms have Hy flex capability so this might be hard to figure out logistically

Nellie: A lot of international students are at a disadvantage to come in for one semester, I can bring this up on the next meeting, we will do a poll to see what students think

Aya: Dr. Houser is aware of international students; many profs treat their lectures as intellectual property so when we go back in person I don't think it will be something we can push for.

Aiden: I think we should table this conversion for the next meeting or until we get more information

Motion to table this meeting until we get more information or until next council meetin

Motion second by Nellie

All

Anumita: If we wait for a month, it might be too late since course selection will open up soon

Aiden: I think

Anumita: I think if we have a mindset that we can't do anything then it's hard to get anything done, if things become publicized, they will not be able to ignore the majority's voice.

Nellie: I think we can gather a group that wants to work on this, I think we all agree that Hy Flex is in favour for the majority, but we want to table this until we get more info about the progress

New business

Aya: If you want to add to the agenda, it might be a good idea to consult the exec in charge so that it does not turn into a debate, and we can come prepared

Nikko: We will be bringing back for UWindsor science games team, there are a few different schools, OSSA hosts this, we go to different school and meet with other science students, Ryerson is the host school for the next one. You have to be 19 years of age by March 1st 2021 since we will be going out to clubs

Nellie: Elected charity of the year is Autism services, the first and proceeding fundraiser will be going to them